2008 Corona AMA Superbike Finale - Saturday Action
The Corona AMA Superbike Finale is one of my favorite races of the year. The crowds and traffic are much lighter than the MotoGP weekend so it's easy to get in and out of Laguna Seca and parking is plentiful. There's plenty of action to satisfy even the most demanding motorcycle racing enthusiast.
I hope this was not the last time we will see liter-class AMA Superbikes at Laguna Seca. We will have to see what the Daytona Motorsports Group (DMG) will do with AMA racing. Rumors are flying around the forums - most wondering what DMG are planning.
It's unfortunate that many fans think the AMA Superbikes are much slower compared to MotoGP. Considering the technology and the much higher cost of the MotoGP bikes, a 2-3 second difference is extremely expensive. If the AMA Superbikes ran open exhaust I don't think anyone would notice much of a difference.
One thing's for sure, fans need to show their support for the series if they want to ensure future events.
Results - Superbike Qualifying
- Mat Mladin - Suzuki GSX-R1000 - 1:23:592
- Ben Spies - Suzuki GSX-R1000 - 1:23:802
- Tommy Hayden - Suzkuki GSX-R1000 - 1:24:037
- Eric Bostrom - Yamaha YZF-R1 - 1:24:136
- Aaron Yates - GSX-R1000 - 1:24:505
The old saying "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" applies to the AMA Supersport series. These mid-size bikes are the bread and butter of motorcycle sales, and fans enjoy seeing their favorite bikes competing (and winning) on the track.
Ben Bostrom had a great year riding his Graves Motorsports Yamaha YZF-R6.
- Ben Bostrom - Yamaha YZF-R6 - 1:26:241
- Joshua Hayes - Honda CBR600RR - 1:26:535
- Josh Herrin - Yamaha YZF-R6 - 1:26:643
- Jake Zemke - Honda CBR600RR - 1:26:957
- Martin Cardenas - Suzuki GSX-R600 - 1:26:963
AMA Formula Xtreme
The AMA Formula Xtreme Series qualifying and race were held on Saturday. Josua Hayes Qualified on the pole.
AMA Formula Xtreme Race Results
- Jake Zemke - Honda CBR600RR - 17 laps
- Joshua Hayes - Honda CBR600RR - +1.119
- Steve Rapp - Kawasaki ZX-6R - +12.182
- Martin Cardenas - Suzuki GSX-R600 - +12.566
- Chaz Davies - Kawasaki ZX-6R - +24.818
Red Bull AMA U.S. Rookies Cup
The Red Bull Rookies Cup is a great series for young riders age 13 to 17 to show their talent on spec KTM 125 motorcycles. The engine produces 45 horsepower at 13,300 rpm, weight including rider is 300 lbs. The riders are competitive, the racing is close and entertaining.
Red Bull Rookies Qualifying
- Leandro Mercado 1:34:878
- Austin Medrano 1:36:167
- Jacob Gagne 1:36:265
- Tomas Puerta 1:36:430
- Joey Pascarella 1:36:575